Wednesday 8 May 2013

Study Fatigue

Evening!

It's a nice (relatively warm) evening here and it's stopped raining! Yay! :)

I have to be honest I had a ridiculously unproductive day today. I somehow sat at my computer and managed only to get 4 small questions covered...in 8 hours....yeah not good!

I'm really quite tired today. I've so much to do and so much on my mind I think it's wearing me out. I just ache all over! I got to thinking about study fatique. When you just hit the wall and can't do anymore, which is where I'm at right now!

I wanted to share some of my tips for getting through long periods of study:

1. Get up and move

 If your brain is switching off and you're starting to feel lazy then get that butt off the chair and get moving! I recommend dancing around your room! :) It's a fun way to wake up your brain! Otherwise you can shake yourself out, do some stretches- anything that gets you're blood going!

2. Make time for breaks

If like I am at the mo, you're studying for long periods of time, make sure to take a mini break every 30-40 mins or so. It will help give your brain a little rest rather than overloading it. I'm not suggesting a longggg break now so be good and keep it to 5-15 mins max depending on how tired you are ok? ;)

3. Ideal Environment

Take a bit of time before you study to create the ideal study environment, tidy your desk or find a clear table to work on. Try to make sure it's not a space with a lot of activity such as a kitchen as you will get distracted. Also make sure that you have some fresh air coming in, and that the temperature of the room is not too high or you will get sleepy!

4. Music

This may not be everyones cup of tea, but I find most of the time I study I need some sort of music in the background to just break up the monotony. I have an internet radio and I cannot stress how amazing they are! You can pick from thousands of stations of all different genres of music! If you can't get one not to worry, try creating a playlist on itunes of study songs. Study songs should ideally be played low, and not be too distracting in themselves. So no rock tunes! (unless you're on a break that is heheh)

5. Learning Personality

There are a number of quizes you can do to figure out your learning personality. You may be a kinesthetic learner, an auditory learner, a visual learner, or a combination of all three. Kinesthetic learners like to move around while they are studying and might fidget a lot. An Auditory learner learns best by hearing things out loud, and learn best by reading out to themselves. A Visual learner remembers things best by seeing them. Figuring out what type of learning style suits you will help you realise what techniques you should be using. For example, if you are a Visual learner you might want to make your notes visually appealing through colours and pictures.


These are just some tips to help you study. But my final piece of advice is if you are tired- REST!

If you are really exhausted take some rest or take a nap, and come back to your studies later or the next day with a fresh brain! Which is exactly what I'm off to do! Zzz....


 
 
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment